Is Facebook really helping society or is it slowly destroying centuries of human values?
To further my viewpoint on the matter I feel that Facebook has slowly create a new form of friendship. On Facebook, someone can have a friend, whom they've never actually met. Whereas before somebody tended to want to meet a person in the flesh before deciding upon whether or not they'll be friends, nowadays someone can see pictures of a possible friend, see how they interact with other people, and talk to them on a daily basis with no additional charge, without leaving there seats. Slowly, the days where kids would just spend time together to talk, are dissipating, quickly being replaced, by an era that is being ushered in by Mark Zuckerberg and other pioneers of social networking, an era in which the line between real friend and virtual friend, will be non-existent. Please comment and post your thoughts on this matter
7 comments:
Chris, I absolutely agree with you on this matter. Now, we don't even need to hear someones voice to be friends with them only talk with them over the internet. I believe that this must be monitored by parents everywhere. Parents need to be cautious of who their kids are talking to and what they are talking about. Now i understand if a parent were to ask to see their childs facebook page the kid would say no. However if your kid is not even a teenager yet and have facebook they need to be monitored very carefully because there are so many people out there who will lure a kid in over the internet and abduct them by convincing them to meet somewhere without the parents knowledge. And even sometimes the person who is abducting the child could be a 40 year old man/woman pretending to be a 12 year old boy/girl. Either way great topic chris and i agree 100%!
Well done Chris. I agree, today people are starting to lose their sence of communication. sure its easyer and faster but you do not have that human interaction.
I'm glad that you agree with me Glendenning!Another issue I find with Facebook is that the entry age is 13. I think that the entry age should be raised. This will help with the issue of abduction that you brought up. Too often youth, lie about there age just to meet the specified age of 13, and as a result we have more an more 8,9,10 year olds on Facebook. While it is a great place to socialize, I think there is a point where young is too young.
Alex I agree with your viewpoint as well. Before the new era of social networking, it was not uncommon for friends to call each other nightly or meet each other in person. Now with technology such as Skype and Facebook there is really no need for in person meetings.But one thing I find is that body language is a significant portion of communication. Speaking without the addition of body language is like eating raisin bran without the raisins. Simply put, its just not as good.
I agree with Chris, these friends you make on the internet just have to click the button, accept friend request. I've seen people with thousands of friends on facebook, but they were mostly just friends of his friends, or other people that they meet at dances once, and never see each other again. People are losing their oral communication skills, because of websites such as Facebook. Excellent argument Chris!
I agree with your point. Somebody creates a facebook account just to prove that they can get more friends than other people. Purposely adding random people to increase their frend lists without actually knowing them. However, a facebook account can be fake, an ugly girl can post a beautiful pictures of another can gain high popularity without people knowing what she really looks like. Therefore I think people shouldn't take anything serious to Facebook, just use it as a convinient and fun platform for people to communicate.
Post a Comment